“Greet all people with a smile.”
Ethics of the Fathers 3:16
Formal transition planning for students with disabilities begins at the age 14. While this may seem early, it can take months or years to complete the transition process. The goal of transition is to help your teen understand their disability and choices to determine their future. Below are important questions for youth to consider with his/her team:
- What kind of work do I want to do?
- Will additional education or training be necessary?
- Where do I want to live?
- How could I live independently?
- What transportation options do I have access to?
- How will I obtain and transition to adult health care and what will that mean?
State Identification Cards
As youth transition to adulthood, it is important to obtain a State Identification Card even if you are not planning to get a driver’s license. Without a photo identification card individuals may find it difficult to access services at banking institutions, government agencies, and transportation centers such as train stations and airports.